||This project features notes or instructions in Adobe Reader format. If you
do not have Adobe Reader, download it for free here.
Click here to download the Treasure Box Pattern. (PDF)
- Basecoat the lid with black. The bottom is the color of your choice from the palette listed above.
- Trace the pattern onto tracing paper. Place the tracing paper on the surface and then slide graphite under. Use the stylus to go over the lines in order to transfer the pattern to the surface. Repeat to cover the top.
- Paint the cones with orange, the ice cream scoops and candies with blue, fuchsia, light green, orchid and yellow. Use the 10# flat
- Side load the damp #10 flat with white. Using the entire width of the brush, paint “C” shaped strokes on the ice cream for highlights.
- Load this brush on one side with orange and the other side with white. This is a “double load”. Stroke the on the collar of the cone with the white on the edge.
- Use a liner brush to paint the crosshatching on the cone cup with fuchsia.
- Mix water with white so that it is thin and transparent. Paint over the candies and make a wrapper shape on the sides. This is called a wash.
- When dry, use the liner to outline the candy and wrapper with white, and to add highlights and lines to form the “crinkles”.
- Finish the top with brush tip dots in all the colors on your palette.
- The bottom can be finished to compliment to the using any colors in your palette. Stripe it or make brush tip dots as a nice accent.
- Varnish over all for a hard surface and to protect the painting. Add glitter varnish over the ice cream if you like.