Slices of clay canes are a fun way to decorate any number of surfaces: Glass, Wood, Paper Maché and more. Here’s how to make decorative canes using rolling and flattening techniques.
Tips for working with clay:
• Always cover your work surface. Wax paper works best.
• Use a clay roller to flatten balls of clay into sheets, or even a marker with a thick barrel.
• You will need something sharp to cut slices of the cane. A piece of stiff plastic from packaging works well or a serrated plastic knife. Wipe between cuts to prevent smearing and clean occasionally with baby wipes.
• Clay must be heated to harden. Follow package directions for temperature settings and other important information.
• Bake as directed in a glass or ceramic baking dish. Place parchment paper under pieces so the clay does not touch surfaces which may later be used for food.
1. Cut a square piece of clay about ¾” x ¾”. Roll in your palms to condition creating a ball.
2. Roll the ball into a log about ½” in diameter. Continue rolling until the clay forms a rod about 1/8” thick, or
3. To create a flat piece, use a roller to flatten the log into a rectangle.
Now you know how to make rods and flat pieces, you can start to make a decorative cane.
Polka Dot Cane
1. Create a blue rod and a white rod about 1/8” in diameter. Cut each of the rods into pieces about 2” in length. You will need 6 white pieces and 10 blue pieces.
2. Place 5 pieces of blue around one piece of white.
3. Nest a piece of white between the pieces of blue then place pieces of blue between the pieces of white. (See Fig. 1)
4. Gently roll the cane to press all the pieces together. Continue rolling until the cane is about ¼” in diameter. Note: The more you roll, the smaller the cane will become. Slice a piece from one end of the cane to reveal the design.
5. Cut then press slices of the cane onto the surface you wish to decorate.
1. Flatten clay into rectangles about 1 ½” wide and 2” long. You will need one orange and one yellow rectangle.
2. Lay the yellow piece on top of the orange piece. Cut the sides so they are even then cut across the top and the bottom to straighten the edges.
3. Trim the bottom of the yellow rectangle so it is a little shorter than the orange. (See Fig. 2)
4. Roll a small piece of yellow clay into a rod then place across the top of the two pieces. Trim the ends so they are even with the sides.
Fig. 2 Fig. 3
5. Starting at the top, roll up the rectangle by pulling the ends of the clay sheets up over the yellow rod. Gently roll the cane to press all the pieces together. (See Fig. 3) Continue rolling until the cane is about ¼” in diameter. Slice a piece from one end to reveal your design.
1. Create a red rod and a black rod about 1/8” in diameter. Cut each of the rods into pieces about 2” in length. You will need 7 black pieces and 10 red pieces.
2. Place 5 pieces of red around one piece of black.
3. Nest a piece of black between the pieces of red then place pieces of red between the pieces of black. (See Fig. 4)
4. Gently roll the cane to press all the pieces together. Continue rolling until the cane is about ¼” in diameter.
5. Create a red rectangle to wrap around the cane. Roll gently to press in place. Place a black rod along the line where the ends of the rectangle meet. Roll gently. Continue rolling until the cane is about ¼” in diameter. Slice a piece from one end to reveal your design.