Age Range: 7 to 12
Grade Range: 1 to 6
Skill Level: Moderate
Appropriate for These Special Events:
Saint Patrick’s Day
Mother’s Day or Father’s day
Every Day and Rainy Days
Supports Subject Area(s) of:
Language Arts – e.g. step by step instructions
Math – e.g. measuring
Time Needed for Project:
1 hour plus drying time
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam Sheet – 1” thick
- Poster Board
- White tissue paper
- Acrylic paint – white, medium and light gray blue, silver metallic
- Elmer’s® Washable Clear School Glue
- Basic Supplies
- Brush – 1” flat
- Serrated plastic knife
- Foam plate or foil for paint
- Paper towels
- Poster board
- Cooling rack
- Use ruler and pencil to measure and mark an 8” square with a 2 ½ ” inside border. Use serrated knife to cut along lines. To create a distressed look, use knife to create notches along side and inner frame then rounding corners.
- Tear white tissue into about 4” squares. Squeeze a puddle of Clear Glue on foil then working in sections, brush on a thick coat to foam frame. Tap brush onto a piece of tissue then press into glue on frame. Carefully brush another coat of glue over tissue. Add another piece of tissue overlapping the first and gluing in place. Repeat steps to cover entire frame and sides folding tissue to back. Place on cooling rack to dry. Allow to dry thoroughly before painting.
- Squeeze a puddle of white acrylic on foil. Use brush to paint one coat onto frame. Let dry. Squeeze a small puddle of light gray blue acrylic to foil. Dip brush into the blue then into white. Brush onto frame created a mottled look, adding more of each color to brush as needed to cover entire frame. Let dry. Crumple a paper towel then tap into light blue paint. Pounce onto frame in an angled line across frame to create the base for veins of marble. Squeeze silver acrylic onto foil. Crumple a paper towel then lightly tap into paint. Lightly pounce color onto frame creating depth. Let dry. Squeeze medium blue onto foil then add a few drops of water to slightly thin using brush to mix together. Run the side of feather through paint then place at top edge of frame. Pull and wiggle feather across frame at an angle letting feather create veins of marble. Add more paint as needed to create desired look. Let dry.
- Trace frame on poster board and cut out. Trim again as need so it is about ¼” smaller than back of frame. Use glue to adhere poster board in place. Glue pop top in place at top on center back of frame for hanger.
Travel around the world and experience the culture, arts and traditions that make the world unique. Visit Peru, Italy, Canada, USA, Australia, Japan, China, Russia, India, Mexico, Ghana, Egypt, and Scotland.
Click here to order now!
| Television | Projects
| Book Order | Helping
Kids | Teachers | Philosophy
E-mail questions about Hands On Crafts for Kids to email@example.com
© Copyright 2010 Katherine Stull, Inc.