1. Yellow Building Center: Glue 15 craft sticks around the side of a cardboard toilet paper tube using tacky glue. Secure sticks in position with two rubber bands until glue dries. When dry, remove rubber bands. Paint with yellow paint marker.
2. Prepare Clay: Mix in a bowl then knead well on a flat surface. Store in a zip-lock plastic bag.
Polymer Air Dry Clay Recipe: makes 2 ¼ cups
2/3 cup Elmer’s® Glue-All™
2/3 cup cornstarch
1 ¼ cup flour
5 tablespoons baby oil
3 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons water
5 tablespoons salt
Note: The clay will be crumbly at this point, but softens to the correct consistency when colored with tempera powder and baby oil.
3. Red Clay: Tear off about 3 ½” ball of clay, or 2/3 cup. Place on work surface and make a small well in the center of clay. Add 2 teaspoons red tempera powder and 1 teaspoon baby oil. Knead color into clay until it’s a solid red color.
4. Red Onion Dome: Insert half of a toothpick in 4” Styrofoam ball. Tear off 12” sheet of aluminum foil. Scrunch and wrap foil around toothpick. Pinch foil into the top of the onion dome. Press the bottom of Styrofoam onion dome on top of the craft stick-covered tube making an indention. Remove and cover Styrofoam and foil with red clay. Apply glue to top of craft sticks. Position Clay-covered onion dome on top of sticks. Use a craft stick to make scalloped-shingle impressions around onion dome.
5. Blue Building Base: Tear of a 2” ball of clay. Form a well in the center of clay. Add 2 teaspoons blue tempera powder and 1 teaspoon baby oil. Knead color into clay. Pinch off 3/4” ball of clay. Roll into a ball. Insert a toothpick into ball. Insert toothpick into dome top. Wrap the remaining blue clay around tuna can sides, both outer side and inner side of can. Use a jumbo craft stick to press impression around outside of clay-covered can.
6. Green Trim: Tear off a 2” ball of clay. Form a well in the center of clay. Add 2 teaspoons green tempera powder and 1 teaspoon baby oil. Knead color into clay. Pinch off 3/8” ball of clay. Roll into a ball. Insert ball on dome top toothpick. Roll the remaining clay into a 6” snake, then flatten to ¼” Cut out a 6 ½” x ½” strip of clay. Shape clay strip around bottom of dome and top of craft sticks. Use a craft stick to press impressions around green clay sides. Press the remaining green clay in the center of tuna can. Place craft stick building into clay. Allow sculpture to dry overnight.
7. Optional Glitter Glaze: Mix ½ “ puddle of glitter paint with equal part rubbing alcohol. Mix well. Brush colored glitter glaze on matching colored clay. Let dry.
Optional: Add dots and additional decorations with 3D glitter paint.
8. Top Cross: Trim away the pointed end of top toothpick with scissors. Trim sharp ends from a second toothpick. Apply gold glitter paint on vertical toothpick. Adhere second toothpick forming a cross shape. Securely criss-cross a thread around cross. Tie thread ends tightly. Cover second toothpick with gold glitter paint.
Travel around the world and experience the culture, arts and traditions that make the world unique. Visit Peru, Italy, Canada, USA, Australia, Japan, China, Russia, India, Mexico, Ghana, Egypt, and Scotland.
Click here to order now!