Create a tartan pillow with your chosen clan colors. Because the land is rough, people in Scotland were separated into clans. Each clan has its own chief and all of the members have a common ancestor. Each clan has its own colorful pattern or tartan for weaving cloth.
Age Range: 7 to 12
Grade Range: 1 to 6
Skill Level: Moderate
Appropriate for These Special Events:
Every Day and Rainy Days
Supports Subject Area(s) of:
Language Arts – e.g. step by step instructions
Math – e.g. measuring
Time Needed for Project:
1 hour plus drying time
Finished pillow is approximately 12” square.
- Elmer’s® Craft Bond™ Tacky Glue
- Elmer’s® Foam Board™ Sheet
- Fleece – ½ yard, hunter green, gold, red, gray, 1 yard Black
- Pinking shears
- Push pins
- Cut fleece into strips in the following sizes:
Six black 2”x 18”
Four red 2” x 18”
Four gold 2” x 18”
Four green 2”x 18”
Four gray 1” x 18”
Four black 1” x 18”.
- Place Foam Board on work surface. Starting at left corner, place strips in desired design: green, gold, red, black, black, black, red, gold, and green. Use a push pin to hold in place pushing pin in about 3” in from end. The ends will be used to knot later.
- Place a thinner gray strip on two black- leave the middle one plain. Lift up thin strip then add a thin bead of Tacky Glue down center of strip. Press gray strip into place and let dry. Place a thinner black strip on two gold as shown. Glue in place. Let dry.
- You should have two green, two gold, two red, and 3 black strips left for weaving. Glue thinner black strips on two red and gray on two more black strips. Let dry.
- To start weaving, take one green strip and lift every other strip pinned down weaving the green strip in place. Be sure to snug the strips closely together. Repeat weaving with gold, red, black with gray, black, black with gray, red, gold, and green strips. Add a dot of glue under each section to hold in place. See photo for placement. Add glue where sections meet to secure.
- Trim all tails of fleece to about 2-3” on all sides of pillow. Place an 18” piece of black fleece on surface. Remove all pins from pillow top. Carefully lift pillow and place on fleece. Trim back section to match front. Use scissors to snip between each of the side strips.
- Knot each layered sections of strips into knots around three sides of pillow. Cut remaining pieces of fleece into strips then stuff pillow to desired size. Knot last side of pillow. Trim ends of knots if needed.
Travel around the world and experience the culture, arts and traditions that make the world unique. Visit Peru, Italy, Canada, USA, Australia, Japan, China, Russia, India, Mexico, Ghana, Egypt, and Scotland.
Click here to order now!
| Television | Projects
| Book Order | Helping
Kids | Teachers | Philosophy
E-mail questions about Hands On Crafts for Kids to email@example.com
© Copyright 2010 Katherine Stull, Inc.