BEFORE STARTING: Knead
clay until soft to make it easy to work with. Cover working
surfaces with wax paper, then clean surfaces and wash your
hands thoroughly after kneading.
1. Cut a pattern for your plant stake from scrap paper. Roll
out the conditioned clay to make a sheet about 1/8”
thick. Cut two identical shapes from the clay sheet using
the paper pattern.
2. Position the leaves (veins down) on one shape and press
in place. Remove leaves. Use the sharpened pencil point to
“carve” selected word(s) like: dream, love or
3. Sandwich craft stick between patterned clay piece and the
second matching shape. Hold the clay gently in your hand and
pinch the edges of the two shapes together all the way around.
Make sure the clay is sticking to the craft stick.
4. Bake the plant stake on an oven proof glass surface in
a 275ºF oven for 15 minutes per ¼” thickness.
DO NOT USE A MICROWAVE OVEN. Avoid over baking. Allow to cool
5. Apply acrylic paint to the baked clay plant stake and spread
it around with a foam brush or paint brush. Use the cotton
rag to remove most of the paint so that color is left in the
impressions. If the paint dries too quickly, wet the rag slightly
and rub the baked clay to remove more paint.