by Carolyn Stears
of Michael’s Arts & Crafts Store
- Instant papier maché
- Wire mesh
- 10” x 20” Foam
- String or ribbon
- Acrylic paint - light green,
brown, yellow, blue, dark blue
- Star hand punch
- Sculpting tools
- Black fine point marker
- Plastic wrap
- Optional: Star hand punch
1. Enlarge the map provided
or use one of your own. See page 112 for a larger map. Cut
out the map, don’t forget Alaska and Hawaii! Lay the
map on the foam core board and trace around it.
2. Mix instant papier maché. Using a plastic bag or
mixing bowl add 32oz. of water to 1lb. of instant papier maché.
3. Spread the papier maché inside the map you traced,
smoothing the surface with sculpting tools or large craft
stick. The papier maché should be about 1/4”
thick or less.
4. Let the papier maché dry until no longer sticky
but still soft. Put a piece of plastic wrap over the whole
map. Lay the paper map you used as your initial pattern on
top of the plastic wrap. Using a pencil trace around all the
states and the Great Lakes, use enough pressure so that you
can see all the borders of all the states. When you’re
finished remove the plastic wrap and let the may dry completely.
This may take 1 to 2 days.
5. Paint the states in a random color pattern; try not to
have 2 states the same color right next to each other. Let
6. Paint the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and the Gulf of Mexico
with blue and dark blue.
7. Draw the outline of each state with the black marker.
8. Using the marker, label each state. Note that in the small
New England states you will have to label the states out to
9. Write in the names of the Oceans and Great Lakes with black
10. Use a pencil to punch a hole on either side of the foam
core, along the top. Run a ribbon or string through the holes
and knot in the back to secure.
11. Apply a coat of varnish to entire map. Let dry.
Optional: Punch small stars out of construction paper and
glue them on the map to identify each state capital. Write
in the name of the capitals next to the stars.
Celluclay®, Activ-Wire Mesh; Delta Ceramcoat® Acrylic Paint,
Interior/Exterior Varnish;Fiskars® Hand Punch, Scissors; Beacon™
Kids Choice Glue™
| Television | Projects
| Book Order | Helping
Kids | Teachers | Philosophy
E-mail questions about Hands On Crafts for Kids to email@example.com
© Copyright 2004 Katherine Stull, Inc.