1. Carefully remove glass
from wood frame and set aside. Mask the inside and outer edges
of frame with tape, if desired. Paint a thin coat of glue
over remaining surface. Allow to dry. Remove tape.
2. Knead clay till soft and smooth then roll out to about
1¼4 " thick with rolling pin. Using a plastic
knife, cut strips of flattened clay the width of frame. Lay
pieces on the front until the entire frame is covered. Blend
seams together with fingers.
3. Use scissors to cut rubber stamps apart into individual
Chinese characters. Push different stamps into the clay making
sure they leave an impression. Character patterns can be place
in rows or in a random fashion. Option: Draw Chinese characters
on clay with pencil.
4. Place clay covered frame on an oven proof glass surface
then bake in a 275ºF oven for 15 minutes per 1¼4
" of thickness, with good ventilation. DO NOT USE MICROWAVE
OVEN. Avoid over baking. Thicker pieces may require additional
baking time. Let cool.
5. Paint the surface of the frame
with a coat of sealer. Let dry.
6. Mix equal parts brown paint and clear glaze. Brush this
mixture over entire frame making sure to get into all crevices.
Immediately wipe with a paper towel, removing as much color
as desired. Let dry.
7. To finish, apply 2 coats of matte varnish, allowing to
dry between coats.